Search my blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial reflections

5.31.10

Today is Memorial Day. A national holiday where all businesses shut down, and families wheel out the grill for hot dog and hamburgers, in hopes of spending time together in reflection on what our soldiers have done for this country.

Soldiers do give their lives to fight for our freedoms.

I’ve never served in the military, but I can only imagine the struggles and challenges that present themselves at times could be utterly exhausting. The perspective I get from the movies is that a soldier may go months upon months without a shower longer than 30 seconds. They may eat the same M.R.E. (Meal Ready to Eat) for a week straight. In battle, they walk hundreds of miles with heavy packs on their backs… at times, even crawl miles to avoid being spotted. They are the hunted. They are our opposition’s enemy. Many times, they advance into enemy territory, unfamiliar surroundings, with only a “field manual” and “hypothetical scenario” training as their reference guide. They think quick on their feet and make the best judgment call they can in the field.

Some die… young.

So the question I ask myself today, this 2010 Memorial Day, is what in my life shows an appreciation, respect, and honor to the soldiers who go through hell to protect our haven? If “living for freedom” was illegal, would there be enough evidence to convict me?

Perhaps.

If freedom is defined by the ability to:
• Watch American Idol ever season, and vote for who I choose
• Develop a grocery budget, and cook meals that fall within the budgeted funds
• Mow my grass every 5 days, as long as the weather holds out
• Go to work 5 days a week, while my newborn son and wife stay home
• Serve in a ministry, within areas that suite me
• Attend a church service, where I can worship how I want.
• Turn my air conditioner to 72ยบ as I sleep, for comfort.

But wait! All these pieces of evidence are about ME! Our soldiers are dying daily, NOT for themselves, but for OTHERS! What if, just What IF true freedom was not characterized by the amount of luxury and comfort one received, but about living for a exterior cause that called out MORE OF YOU in return for LESS REWARD. Our soldiers die for people they’ve never even met. Jesus laid his life down as a ransom for us, so that God may be glorified through our salvation.
Today, I choose to think outside myself. For one day, just one day, let us give our lives for the sake of others giving theirs.

THIS is true freedom.

John 15:13 (New Living Translation)
13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!