Search my blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 6: Vocation, Career and Job

06.01.10
Day 6

I’m fulfilling a task from 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller here:

I need to tell you about the difference between vocation, career, and job.

A vocation is a high calling from God. For instance, someone may be called to “reduce pain in people.” and follow that calling multiple ways, such as becoming a doctor, therapist, counselor, etc. The calling by God is greater than any avenue someone might use to pursue it. In my case, I’m feeling called to “innovate and give startup life” (at least I think that is the greater calling God anointed me with.) So, according to the book, my Vocation would be “innovate and give startup life”. So far, I’ve pursued Lemonade refreshment stations (age 8), door to door garage sales (age 6), BMG Music Club CD Sales through my middle school (age 11), Home baked Cookie distribution at elementary school (age 7), Baseball Card startup business in my parent’s basement (age 9), differentiation in my approach for employment at Byron Hills Golf Course (age 15, had 2 letters of recommendation and treated this approach like a career), 3rd Key manager at Sam Goody (age 16), Department leader at Old Navy (age 17), Quixtar business growth (age 18-21), Selling home mortgages (age 19), Innovating new marketing approaches and growing sales territory (age 24-present).

I am simply drawn to start up, risk taking, NEW situations that require more out of me than I’ve ever given. I am alive as a worker when I’m engaging these types of activities. I get bored and lose interest when the “new-ness” wears off. (Except for my marriage, of course.) True vocation SHOULD solicit passion and energy, as it is God’s ultimate design for us. God blesses us when we do what He has called us to do!

Essentially, a vocation is a calling to great to be packaged by any one career, or job. Very few business professionals that I’ve met take the time to focus on vocation/calling first, then career. Many people I’ve known over the years go to school to “become a lawyer, or doctor, or realtor.” I’ve not once heard someone say they were going to school to pursue their calling to become “someone who gives life to new projects.”

A career is a bit different from vocation.

If I understand correctly, a career, it is a particular avenue that we take to accomplish our vocation. Careers are NOT our spiritual identity. Kind of like a vehicle to the destination, but NOT the destination itself. A person could have a handful of careers over their lifetime, hopefully bringing himself closer to the destination (vocation.) This is good advice for people who use to work in the auto industry before the floor fell out from under it. CAREERS DO NOT DEFINE YOUR CALLING. Your CALLING should define your CAREER!


Now on to the job. A job is simply our daily function. In a dentist’s case, their job is drilling teeth, filling cavities, or checking x-rays. In my case, I sell product, call on prospects, lead organizations, strategerize over the next TPS reports. I also minister, counsel, lead in the home, manage my property (lawn mowing, etc), and balance my personal budget. These are all jobs, that should stem from a career choice, that absolutely must fulfill my vocation/calling that God has placed on my life.

My Vocation:
“To bring Glory to God by: innovating and giving startup life” – John 17:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!