Search my blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 7: Yesterday, I spoke with an Usher

06.02.10
Day 7: Yesterday, I spoke with an Usher…

Last night on my way home from working the day with my primary client (employer,) I had the opportunity to speak with a mentor of mine. This person has truly been an inspiration to me in how he has lead his family to pursue God’s calling on their lives. One of the many ways this person had inspired me in the past is when he voluntarily left a safe secure “job” at one church to simply “go to the land the Yah-Weh would show him.” He didn’t know what that would mean, he didn’t know where that would be… but he simply WENT, because he felt God calling his family to do that. After not days, not weeks, not months, and not a year, but rather after 3 years, God ushered he and his family into that “promised land.” Awesome story of faith. More than that… awesome story of God’s FAITHFULNESS!

I served with this disciple of Jesus in a young adult ministry for approximately 3 years, on his assembled leadership team. Jeremy and I would meet frequently for coffee, lunch, or in his office to discuss ministry and my involvement in various ways. He got to experience my spirit of innovation first hand, and sit in “round table discussions” with me to hear how I process. He is a man I respect greatly, and thus chose to call him to simply spew what God has been doing in my life recently. No expectations. No “fishing for a certain response.” Just wanted to inform him. I hoped, that by doing so, I would only solidify my own understanding of what God was doing, and begin to “own” it more and more with each word I spoke.

I told Jeremy that God was shaping my perspective of work. My most recent revelation has been deciphering the difference between “what I do” and “who I become.” God has a plan for “who I become.” I think of it as His CALLING on my life. A cow gives glory to God when it functions as cow! If the farm is full of chickens, the cow could very easily feel like he is suppose to be a chicken because everyone else is!... but NO. this is a lie. A cow glorifies God when it becomes and functions as God intended it to. Ultimately, this “zone” is most satisfying for a cow anyway! I told Jeremy that I feel my life’s vocation/calling may be “to bring Glory to God by innovating and giving start-up life and energy.”

Here is a bullet point summary of his response:

• I am an energizing force to a room, with emotional intelligence and sensitivity PLUS enthusiasm
• The vocation/calling I shared with him “definitely resonates with him.”
• As I pursue opportunities to serve within my calling, always ask myself “does this fit with my priorities?” (family, ministry, etc)
• Be thinking how things could be improved- perhaps as a consultant
• Look for opportunities to practice / beta test this type of work out
• Perhaps consider ministry consultant work?

And here is the big silver bullet for me:
• If I can step in to a project, coach and build it, then step away without guilt and KNOW that I am doing what God has called me to do, then I’d be in the zone.


This whole approach to understanding what God is up to has been so awesome. It truly IS counterintuitive for me to slow down and have a discussion with others about what I feel God doing, but the fruit from this tree has been so rich so far.

My prayer is that God continues to usher me down the path he already has built. I do not want to bring MY PLAN to Him for blessing, rather, I want to unconditionally accept HIS PLAN… whatever it ends up being.

Glory to God. With everything that I become. John 17:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!