Search my blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Traveling the path

12.29.10


Traveling the path


I've made many travel mistakes in my few years on earth. If you were to ask my wife, she would tell you that I am one to follow the GPS to a fault. In fact, on some business trips I find myself in foreign cities with winding roads I've never even heard of before... trying to travel such paths without a guide is not only foolish, its DANGEROUS!





In a comical way, this video illustrates our need (perhaps as Men) for guidance. The problem is, some people find their guidance from self-serving motives, rather than God-surrendered faith.

We can walk any path we choose in life, so long as we BELIEVE in our hearts that it is right for us. But, the truth is that our hearts cannot always be trusted!


~~~


EXAMPLE: I walked into Costco a few days ago, and stumbled across the latest 3D HDTV setup on display. I instantly envisioned that television in my living room, mounted proudly on my wall. In my mind's eye, I saw my son watching "Finding Nemo" in 3D, laughing with entertained delight. I pictured my wife and I enjoying "our shows" at a whole new level... which would obviously improve our marriage!

Over the course of about 42 awe struck seconds, I began feeding the lustful desires in my heart to turning this "want" into a "need!"

But then it struck me.



THE LESSON: God's desire for us is not to be happy, but rather to be holy.



The truth is, my wife and I don't have "quality conversations" nearly at the frequency we should to grow our marriage... and this television purchase would only add one more "thing" to our crowded schedules.

The truth is, we desire to raise our son in a home that reflects Jesus, constantly. I have yet to find in Scripture a place where Jesus just sits down and chills out watching "the game."...

The truth is, the evil spirit of depression, isolation, and resentment flirts at our doorstep every day. I believe Satan would "entertain us to death" if he had the chance... (Check out John 10:10 and 1 Peter 5:8 )

Thank goodness Jesus said this first:

John 8:32 (New International Version, ©2010)

32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”


So true.


I declined to allow my heart to travel the emotional autobahn it found itself on, any longer. I attacked this feeling with the self disciplined spirit of God's truth.


~~~


The decisions we make in our life determine the direction our life is headed in.

A wise sage once said, "Direction, not intention, determines destination."

It's what you do, not what you intend to do.

It's action, not just desire.


And the only way we can modify our ACTION is by changing our BELIEF.

And the only way to change BELIEF is by reconciling it to TRUTH.

And the only way to gain TRUTH is by absorbing and living God's WORD...


So I will travel this path... this path called LIFE... and allow God's TRUTH to transform my ACTIONS through changing my BELIEFS...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!