Search my blog

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Prayer with an Atheist

9.23.10

Prayer with an Atheist


Jesus tells us we are the salt and the light of the world.  

Matthew 5:13-16 (New International Version)

Salt and Light
 13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
 14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.


This includes our ENTIRE world... 
... our ministry (of course)
... our families (okay I get that)
... our neighborhoods (I can do that for my friendly neighbors?)
... our work places (wait... what?!  Separation of "church and state")


Nope.  Jesus gave us spiritual "flava" and called us to be beacons of light in a potentially dark (Godless) work environment too!  


If not you, then WHO?


So, yesterday I was on the phone with a business associate who lives in a different neighborhood, community, state, and region of the U.S. than I do.  From time to time, we catch up about business and miscellaneous random happenings in our "worlds."  Usually, most phone calls are related to business in some way, either bouncing ideas off one another, or picking each others brains...

Yesterday was to be no different.  I called this friendly ally to collaborate on a new prospect's need... when it happened.  

Our conversation started off as usual, "How's business?"

My associate replied, "Terrible.  Things are REALLY bad, Rob.  Never been like this before..."

He went on to tell me many business challenges he's seen:  the fall off of new business.  inability to pay vendors.  looming bankruptcy and home foreclosure that was to become inevitable.... BAD.

After the first 30 seconds of his 15 minute explanation of "how business was" I felt the Holy Spirit tugging on my heart in a BIG way.  

(Incidentally, my men's Bible group recently brought the question to the table: "how do you know when God is speaking to you?" -- well, let me tell you... I heard it through my heart this time!)

God was asking me to pray for my over-the-phone associate.  God had broken my heart, to the point of near tears as my brother laid out his perils over the phone to me.  I have no money to give this person.  My advice would be years too late.  But prayer... that is something I had to give....

Acts 3:6 (New International Version)

 6Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."


 So I simply asked my friend's permission by saying, "Brother, would you mind if I prayed for you, right now?"  











He granted my request.














I prayed.  






Not canned prayer, either.  Not a forced prayer.  But genuine, sincerely, and with anticipation for miracles I prayed.


Upon the amen, this "twice my age" associate paused in silence.  He thanked me... then went on to tell me of his childhood where his parents and relatives told him he could grow up to be either a PASTOR or a TEACHER some day.  (of which, today he is neither, really...)  


Then he said, "Rob, I have to tell you something.  I don't want you to judge me, but you need to know something about me...


 





...I'm an atheist."
















My mind flashed back to all our previous conversations over the years... and realized I never really asked...


... but it didn't matter.  The fact that my brother is an atheist doesn't change how much I love him with Christian brotherly love.  It doesn't change how much I respect him for his business accomplishments.  It doesn't change the fact that I want to continue to lift this brother up in prayer and advocate to MY GOD for him.  It doesn't change any of that...


The fact is, this ATHEIST granted me the privilege of really "KNOWING" him, his struggles, his fears, his worries... and after all that... he gave me authorization to pray for him over the phone.  And I would do it all over again!


I replied to my friend, "Brother, I do not judge you.  There is nothing you could do that would make me love you less brother.  I have your back UNCONDITIONALLY."


I went on to say, "My deal is this: I've PERSONALLY experiences way too many miracles resulting from prayer to NOT believe in God.  I have had too many unexplainable "God sized miracles" in my life that I really don't have a choice.  It is too real for me.  And because of that, I believe my God will hear my prayers for you.  Whether it becomes a lesson learned, or business rebounds back... I'm positive my God will bless this situation."


And then he said something I will never forget:


"I believe you, Rob!"


Amazing.


God has so given me the opportunity to bridge an unconditional relationship of Christian and brotherly love with a guy half way around the world.  God used me to be the salt and light in this guy's life.  


A pastor, or preacher, or minister would NEVER gain this type of access in to this ATHEIST's life... I'm sure of it. 


But because God doesn't just call us to be the salt and light on Sunday morning only... I was able to connect over the course of 4 years in business to the point where this atheist allowed me to pray to my God, on his behalf, WITH HIM.  


THIS is the GOSPEL of 2010...



3 comments:

  1. I Love it Rob.

    Way better than the so called drama on TV! Of course I am guessing because I have not watched drama on TV in many years, but still, I will take a real world story of encouragement anytime. We can all opportunities to live this sort of story out. Makes me wonder what opportunities I have missed to walk this out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory to God for this opportunity, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, incredible to hear another story about how God works in POWERFUL ways in our lives each day! Thanks for having a soft heart and for sharing this word of encouragement with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!