Search my blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thorn in the flesh...

09.21.10

Thorn in the flesh...  

2 Corinthians 12

Paul’s Vision and His Thorn in the Flesh
 1 This boasting will do no good, but I must go on. I will reluctantly tell about visions and revelations from the Lord.  

You see, the deal is... I don't want to lose you here.  I don't want you to get distracted by this good gift of vision God has given me...

2 I[a] was caught up to the third heaven fourteen years ago. Whether I was in my body or out of my body, I don’t know—only God knows. 3 Yes, only God knows whether I was in my body or outside my body. But I do know 4 that I was caught up[b] to paradise and heard things so astounding that they cannot be expressed in words, things no human is allowed to tell.

There.  I've said it.  That is what I saw... and it was GLORIOUS.

 5 That experience is worth boasting about, but I’m not going to do it. I will boast only about my weaknesses.
 
For our WEAKNESS is the common denominator.  We all have one...
 
6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won’t do it, because I don’t want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, 7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.

You heard me right.  I was given a thorn in my flesh to keep me from becoming proud.  If I got drunk on recognition or respect from others... then I'd lose my humility and become proud.  So... I have this "thing" that I struggle with.  You have one too... just think about it...  This is the "thing" that keeps you coming back to God and asking for forgiveness... 

is it ANGER?

is it LUST?

is it JEALOUSY?

is it GREED?

is it ENVY? BOASTING? PROUD? RUDE? SELF SEEKING? KEEPING RECORD OF WRONGS? DELIGHTING IN EVIL?

... is it ____________?  Ah, yes.  There it is....
 

 8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” 

You hear what He told me?!  "My power works best in weakness."  That TOTALLY makes sense!  I get it!  I struggle with __________, so that I may invite Jesus in to reveal his power over ___________!  

So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Might you join me in this true freedom from sin?  

Jesus redeems, yesterday, today, and forever!  All we need to do is invite HIM in to our weakness... our flesh... our sin... and ask Him to do the battle for us. 

 Love wins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!