Search my blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wisdom from Matt Foley the "Motivational Speaker"

08.13.10

Wisdom from Matt Foley, “Motivational Speaker”







Okay, let’s be refreshing (I was going to say “serious.”)… Matt Foley (played by Chris Farley) is a hilarious parody of the stereotypical motivational speaker we see in late night TV, gone wild


But, here’s why I like this video:


First, it exposes such uncomfortable topics, with humor… so we laugh at the transparent seriousness of it! Questions  like: “What do you want to do with your life?” are exceptionally uncomfortable topics to bring up in a “real world” scenario. But when Chris Farley… erh… I mean MATT FOLEY talks about them, we laugh. Brilliant.


When was the last time you asked the man in the mirror (or woman respectively) these same types of questions?


Second, with ROFL-esque trip scenes, it addresses the need for mentorship in order to change. According to Foley… the only way to change is to partner with him (the mentor) for help!


My mentor and I have breakfast every 4-6 weeks.  I pre-email my previous month's progress report out to him (or assignments if appropriate), so that he isn't hearing about the topics for first time when we sit for the 59 minute breakfast.  I ask him questions (also pre-emailed) and then SHUT UP.  God gave us two ears, two eyes, and ONE mouth.  

PS:  I always pick up the tab.  The way I see it, I get $1,000/hour consulting time, for the price of oatmeal and orange juice.  Thank you Jesus for your example of discipleship!



Third, it crescendos into a family bonding experience, brought on by survival-mode emotions… Okay, maybe I’m stretching this point out, but here it goes: it’s when the storms get wild that we draw closest to those we love. A family should never be superceded by finances, frustrations, or “Foley’s.” 


I'm so blessed that my wife and son stand by me, even when I get a little "out there" with some ideas.  In the midst of household budget cuts, and tough decisions to be made, we draw close as a family.

And final thought 3.5: It does a “High-D” personality style some good to belly laugh every now and again. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!