Search my blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On Reading...

08.11.10

On Reading...

I’ll be honest, I graduated with a 4th grade reading level. (self perception) As a graduating senior, I was that guy that would try to short-cut my way through all book reports and reading assignments, by Yahoo! searching for book summaries or cliff notes.

And unfortunately, this worked.

Thus, I grew a bad habit: not reading.

No body could convince me to read. I didn’t see a value or benefit in it. In fact, many people bought me books to read as gifts during this time, but alas… I wouldn’t read them.

I would rather be entertained myself to death (mental death.)  My mind began to rot.


Proverbs 15:7 
The lips of the wise spread knowledge;
not so the hearts of fools.


Years past before I read a book start to finish.

In fact, the first book I read on my own accord changed my life. The Dreamgiver, by Bruce Wilkinson, was the truth and encouragement I needed during a very dark time in my world to re-invent me.

The truth in this book changed my heart. Renewed my hope. And transformed my mind.



Romans 12:2 (New International Version)
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.



From that point forward, I was hooked. I AM hooked.

Books have a mystical sense about them. I can remember vivid mind pictures that came to me while reading books years and years ago. I’ll never forget the multi-faceted lessons I’ve learned in some books.

As a bonus, I’ve heard it said: If you read three books on any subject, you become an expert on that topic!

And so, I’ve decided to become a changed, renewed, and transformed “me.” I will read, to grow in wisdom through books. 

There's two ways to learn something:  1)  Through your own experiences and 2) Through the experiences of others.  -- I already know I'm going to have experiences to learn from (whether I like it or not!)... so why not amplify the learning through the documented experiences of others too?!  Books are exactly that!

1.  Read One Year Bible, every morning
2.  Read One inspirational book per month
3.  Read One instructional book per month
4.  Read Blogs of people I follow.  (Michael Hyatt, Seth Godin, John Maxwell, Jeremy Zilke, Dave Ramsey, Etc.)  --- 
{{my secret:  I use Google Reader to stream all these into one location... so I'm not spending hours surfing...}}




 
Read!!!

Mark that stuff up, man!

Re-read your marks, notes, ideas, etc.

Your mind will thank you.







Luke 2:52 (New International Version)
52And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.


~~~~

Today, however, I learned this: I can’t MAKE people read! (Even those I care about).

I had to decide to read, for myself.

Others will need to do the same.

You can’t push a rope… and you can’t nail Jello to a wall. It just doesn’t work.

You can’t force someone to become wise… even if you care so much about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!