Search my blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hungry

07.11.10

Hungry

What am I truly hungry for?

This is a relevant (12:20PM as I write this = lunch time) and yet spiritual question. Think about it: what are you truly hungry for? Can that hunger ever be satisfied?

From time to time, while flipping channels on the TV, I’ll come across some ESPN special on “competitive eating.” Some of these guys train for years to be able to pound back 100+ hot dogs, and win a trophy.

Should I put myself in their shoes, I would approach training by starving myself for days or weeks prior to the competition, so that I’m good and hungry.

Believe it or not, that is NOT how “Eating Athletes” approach their training routine. Unfortunately, the opposite is true!

According to Wikipedia, Competitive Eaters consume large amounts of food and liquids in the weeks prior to their competition. This over-consumption of foods and drinks expands their stomach to unnatural capacities. If you were to talk with many of these competitors, I’m sure they would tell you “The more I eat, the more I want to eat next time.”

I guess I can relate. Thanksgiving dinner usually results in the annual “food coma” for my family and me. Funny to note that the morning after I’m usually pretty “starved” and thus justify that 3-egg omelet with cheese, turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing as ingredients! Yum. Between breakfast and lunch, no less than 3 additional “snack sessions” have commenced where in a sliver of turkey on a bun, a quick scoop of stuffing, or a slice of that pumpkin pie simply helps “tie me over till the next meal.”

You know what’s worse than all this eating? The Monday-workday following that 4-day weekend gorge session! My stomach is NOT use to eating only 3 times per day, and usually cries out for more, more, more!

Could this mean there is a universal law that states, “more leads to more?” or “you hunger for what you feed yourself?”

If that is true, then it would stand to reason by INTENTIONALLY feeding myself things that honor God, I would naturally desire things that honor God! Right?!?!

Hunger is not a bad thing. If we, as humans, have it… then God designed it in us as a reflection of Him. Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”

So the question I ask myself then, is: “What would God want us to hunger for?” Then... I should FEED it!

Lord, you have created me as a reflection of you. I pray that this sense of hunger you have instilled in me would only glorify you even more. Show me what you want me to feed my mind, body, and spirit… and I pray I desire more of you as result of that feeding.

Galatians 6:7-10 (New International Version)
7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature[a]will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Here are a few things God has asked me to be feeding myself with, thus hunger more:
1. Daily scripture time = I desire to understand the WORD more and more
2. Approach every day challenges, needs, and celebrations in prayer = I desire deeper connectedness with God through prayer
3. Reading at least 1 book to sharpen my sword every month = I hunger for knowledge and see wisdom from these books in every day life
4. I romance my wife by protecting our “date nights” = I desire to love her more and more
5. I read to my son, nightly = I love spending time with him more and more each time
6. I workout 4-5 days per week = I will look forward to feeling the endorphins kick in and be motivated to continue working out
7. When I make sales = I want to make more sales
8. When I eat healthy foods = I want to continue to eat healthy foods
9. When I save money = I want to save more money
10. When I give money = I fall in love with the generosity and blessing of giving!


How have YOU scratched your hunger itch?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!