Search my blog

Friday, July 30, 2010

Rounding the Corner

07.30.10

Rounding the corner

God knows I’m stubborn. I have a one track mind many times, that cannot be changed by any human circumstance. If you don’t believe me, ask my wife, the Saint!

God also knows I’m a creature of comfort. Think about it, no man goes on a “vacation” with no running water, electricity, or HVAC! (Or wait, I guess some call that camping…. Eh.) The point I’m trying to make is we naturally want life to be easy, simple, and avoid stress.

Come on, admit it!  You know what I mean here.

If you are a bold and outgoing person, that last thing you’d want to be caught doing is bookwork for several bosses. If you are a caring and empathetic counselor, chances are the thought of cold calling businesses door to door scares the ba-jee-bees right on out of you!

We want to be in our zone!

Reconcile this to a once “cash-cow-esque” industry, now tightening its belt. Appointment after appointment, with similar battle cries: “competition is fierce, we need to lower our cost to be competitive.” At every level, this affects the supporting industries surrounding. (including my day job)

Loyal customers of years and years are being forced to shift their focus from quality and service to commoditizing products. Trusting relationships that I/we have worked so hard at to develop over the years are now compromised for the all mighty dollar.  (It's not their fault.  And I'm not complaining.)

I’ve heard it said, “Dog eat Dog.” Not until recently did I fully understand the ramifications of that level of hunger. Kind of reminds me that new Discovery Channel show, “The Colony.” -- A MUST SEE! (I predict they will cannibalize by the end of the 40 day season… lol)

So, I’m feeling very anxious about this waiting period. This “gap” between where I am and where I feel/see/hear God calling me to is not comfortable. 

Why do I see the iniquities of the “same ol’ same” and “comfortable” life so much more today? 

Why am I so unsettled when I consider changing NOTHING in my world?

I think I know why. God knows that I’m prone to comfort. I’m prone to familiarity, and mastery there within.

I think to myself, I’ve fallen asleep at the wheel of my true calling for the past 27 years, what’s the harm in taking another quick cat nap for the next few years?

Romans 8:28 (New International Version)
More Than Conquerors
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[a] who[b] have been called according to his purpose.

Could it possibly be that God has been slowly unsettling my heart and closing the doors behind me so that I will lean in to Him for complete survival?

If I truly feel called (and I do) then acknowledging that and asking for God’s blessing and guidance would essentially be the same as signing the disclaimer for Him to take over.

Am I ready for this?  Only with His guidance and power... but I think I am...

The road behind me is crumbling, with every forward step I take. I feel that I have now turned a corner, and a whole new world exists before my eyes. I surely don’t know what/how/who/where/when/why… but I do know a few comforting truths that God has given me through the Holy Spirit:

1. God loves me more than I can ever imagine, and wants His best for me. Jeremiah 29:11
2. God has given me a unique and specific calling. He authored my identity. Psalm 139:14
3. God has called me to bring Glory to Him through innovation and breathing start-up energy. John 17:4

In my most recent Day Away With God (DAWG DAY) God simply told me, Cling to the call. I’ll take care of the rest.

Step by step, I need Him to lead me more and more.

Ironically enough, I’m getting the sense that living the purpose He’s created me for may actually be more comfortable (and significant) than I could ever imagine.

…. And He knew that all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!