Search my blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

REFOCUS in Four Steps

REFOCUS in Four Steps (From Seeds of SUCCESS email):

The average person loses focus every six to ten seconds. When you find yourself drifting, recognize it and make a conscious effort to set yourself back on course. Here are four ways to refocus yourself:

1. Start writing a to-do list. Just the cathartic act of writing down what you need to do will help you get back on track.

2. Dive into your email. If you’re a deadline-driven person and find yourself without something pressing to do that minute, checking your backlog of unaddressed emails will help refocus that sense of urgency.

3. Get up and walk around. Fresh air, a drink of water or a little conversation will help “reset” your mind for your next wave of productivity.

4. Do something easy, that you know you’ll do well. That sense of accomplishment will help propel you into harder tasks on your to-do list.

~~~~~

My spin: 

I've recently become a big fan of the "organic to-do list" that sits beside me on my desk. As I'm tackling my game plan for the day, many times other urgent, important, or valuable actions items pop up. NOW is not the most efficient time to tackle many of these, so they get added to my to-do list. A few times throughout the day, I re-prioritize this list and then engage "Game-plan 2.0" (or 3.0, 4.0, etc.)

Another thing I started doing (some may call it anti-social) is carrying 1 Gallon water jugs of drinking water with me to my desk each day. This protects me from the 3 minute water refill distractions throughout the day, and allows me to stay "zoned in" to the task list at hand.

And finally, I really try to do the hard/difficult/uncomfortable tasks on my list, FIRST. If I can get over these humps early in my day, then the rest is down hill. :)


2 comments:

  1. Good tips. But I don't think I'd use a Tiger Woods pic for "focus" anymore. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!