Search my blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Work Ethic

07.13.10

Work Ethic

So, I’m headed home from a day of work, when my amazing God-given wife/soul mate texts me and simply asks “could you please pick up a bag of salad on your way home?”

No problemo! Superhero husband to the rescue. My damsel is in green-leafy distress and needs me to save her! (I love doing stuff for my wife)

So, I take the road less traveled home, forgoing the highway so that I’ll conveniently drive past a large chain grocer in our area.

I walk in the front doors, past the rows of shopping carts, and to the fresh produce section. Scanned for sales, none today unfortunately. So bought the best dang lookin’ bag of “hearts of Romaine” that I could find. Check out the self checkout… begin walking toward exit. (Average day in the life of a marital “superhero.”)

No more than 10 steps into my journey to the parking lot, I notice a familiar person sitting at the “Apply Here!” kiosk.

Let’s call him “Bert.”

I know “Bert” pretty well. He’s a “special-needs” person, who has a learning disorder. Give Bert an inch, he’ll take a mile. For instance ask him “how are you Bert?”… then prepare for a 20 minute rambling about all sorts of crazy circumstances that Bert has been through in the past 2 hours that lead him to become a victim and thus deserving your pity. (Bert doesn’t do this to be evil, as he’s probably grown up around many people relating with him by how sorry they feel for him/his disability)

No reason today should be different.

I started with a brief (and guarded) small talk with Bert, saying close-ended statements like “applying for a job?”
Here’s how the exchange went:

Rob: “Hey Bert. How ya doing? Applying for a job?”

Bert: “Yes. I just HAVE to get out of the Press.” (Bert delivers newspapers full time apparently.)

Rob: “Oh yeah? I guess I didn’t realize you delivered papers.”

Bert: “I just can’t make enough money with the Press. If it weren’t for CUTTING LAWNS, DONATING PLASMA, AND COLLECTING POP CANS there’s no way I could make it.”

{{-- insert stunned shock --}}

Rob (awkwardly): “Well, good luck buddy.” I then allowed the momentum of my guardedness lead me toward the exit door of the store.

Then I began to think: Bert just told me he 1. Delivers papers 2. Cuts lawns 3. Donates plasma 4. Collects pop cans in order to make ends meet!


Listen, if anyone has an excuse to not work or live off Social Security Disability, it’s this guy. The fact he chooses to get out and GRIND it out for a few bucks here and there to make ends meet just astounds me.

We can all learn a little lesson in work ethic and tenacity from my special-needs friend Bert.

I thank God that our paths crossed today, as I probably learned more in that small interaction than any seminar could teach me.

Thank you Jesus. And God bless Bert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on this you want to share...? Please type it here!